A

DIRECTORY

AND

CONCISE HISTORY

OF

BERWICK-UPON-TWEED
 
 

The original of this Directory was printed by W Lochhead

of High Street, Berwick-upon-Tweed in 1806.

Using one of only three or four copies known still to exist,

this indexed web edition has been prepared by Gavin Cairns, a Freeman of Berwick-upon-Tweed,

a great great great grandson of "Mr Cairns, Common Bake-house"

of Bridge Street who is listed on page 53 of the Directory.

That John Cairns (1770 - 1818) had been admitted a Freeman of Berwick

14th  August, 1793 upon completing his 7 year apprenticeship to

Thomas Oswald, Master Baker, of Western Lane.
 
 

CONTENTS
 

Map "12 Miles Round Berwick"

Title-page

Index of Surnames.

Index of Streets and Placenames.

Index of Trades and Professions.

Index of Carriers.

Index of Public Houses.

Scanned pages 3 through 192.

The Directory's Own Index


There is also a PDF transcription which omits the chapters on Berwick's history but retains the original pagination. As a result it has a good number of blank pages to allow the PDF thumbnail numbering match the pages of the original.


 
Gavin Cairns.
2006.
Contact: <rgcairns@appleshack.com>